Gemini Johnny Depp Birth Chart & Astro Analysis!
The Actor Is Leo Rising With A Grand Earth Trine...
Johnny Depp was born in Owensboro, Kentucky on June 9th 1963 making him a Gemini.
The youngest of four kids, Depp and his family relocated numerous times until finally settling in Florida. He dropped out of school at 15, and found himself in LA where he met Nicolas Cage, and then went on to his acting career.
Depp is considered one of the most versatile actors of his generation – very fitting for a multifaceted Gemini!
- Leo Rising
- Sun in Gemini
- Mercury in Taurus
- Venus in Taurus
- Moon in Capricorn
- Mars (Uranus and Pluto in Virgo)…
Although Depp is Leo Rising with a sprightly, social Gemini Sun (the ‘chart ruler’ or ruler of his natal chart), he has a lot of earth in his horoscope.
The Moon, Mercury, Venus and Mars all appear in earth signs, with a tight conjunction between Mercury and Venus (giving him a pleasant, slow, rich speaking voice).
Uranus, Pluto and the Midheaven are also in earth, with a trine between Mars-Midheaven.
Depp, Mercury & Venus In Taurus…
With the ruler of his Taurus Midheaven in the tenth house of fame, he seamlessly became known as a teen heartthrob and movie star (Venus being the beauty planet in its domicile in Taurus, Mercury being the expressive planet of speech and storytelling).
I would say his film roles absolutely reflect Scorpionic forces; Nightmare on Elm Street (his debut), Edward Scissorhands, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd and many more. These titles have a darker tone to them, with Depp often playing an eccentric character.
The Moon represents mother, and often describes how we feel safe.
In Capricorn this notion is made harder, as the Moon is in ‘detriment’ in this (at worst) cold, hard, unfeeling sign.
Reflecting on what we know about his upbringing, and his relationship with his mother, this chimes as true. Depp has testified that his experience growing up with his mum was abusive, repeated with another woman in his life, Taurus Amber Heard.
“She was quite violent and she was quite cruel.” Depp on his mother.
Pluto’s long transit contacting his Moon and South Node has highlighted both these relationships, coming into contact with his Moon and the South Node.
During this time, his mother died, he faced a tumultuous relationship and ‘punches’ from Heard, as well as the press marking him out as a wife beater.
He has also had periods of abstinence. Pluto has been transiting his sixth house, coupled with Saturn and the South Node at times, making this a more potent experience. In summary, we can say his wellbeing (sixth house), his feeling of safety (Moon), his ability to find equilibrium and work (sixth house) has been threatened (Pluto). He has had to rise up from the dead, make his way through hell (Pluto) and sustain his ambition (Capricorn).
With the Moon co-present with the South Node in the sixth house it doesn’t surprise me that Johnny has substance abuse problems. Nourishment may be a challenging notion for him (Princess Diana also had Moon-South Node, as do I).
I wonder if it’s also hard for him to regulate his diet and eating – I imagine he has struggled in the past decade, not only going back and forth with spells of sobriety but detoxing his foods, trying out different diets.
Lets look closer at his Pluto transit (a true dark night of the soul)…
Timeline & Transits: Pluto
- Pluto was almost conjunct Johnny’s Moon (13º48′) on April 15th, 2014 (at this point he had not long confirmed his engagement to Amber Heard),
- Pluto spent a spell retrograde (during which he would film Black Mass), there was ‘turmoil’ in the relationship (reported Dec 2014), wedding plans slowed
- Pluto then perfected its conjunction January 19th, 2015 (around a New Moon in Capricorn); Depp and Heard were seen with a public kiss on red carpet Jan 10th 2015
- the couple then married, Feb 3rd, 2015
- Johnny’s finger was damaged March 7th or 8th 2015, during the shooting of Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales in Australia – what an apt title!
- Pluto passed back on its retrograde path on his Moon July 25th, 2015 (he was still filming in Australia),
- Pluto hit (direct) November 22nd, 2015 (as he was promoting his film Black Mass). At this time he appeared on the Graham Norton Show, talking about the ‘darkest period in his life’, when daughter Lily Rose was ill in hospital.
- Pluto then began to approach his South Node at 20º38’…
- Pluto conjunct South Node on March 1st 2018, not long after, he gets called a wife beater in the Sun, Dior stands with Depp with Sauvage Eau de Parfum campaign
- Pluto retrograde over the South Node June 15th 2018, GQ article ‘Johnny Depp will not be buried’…
- Pluto direct over the South Node Jan 2nd, 2019
- Depp met Amber Heard filming The Rum Diary in 2011, and left Capricorn Vanessa Paradis in 2012 (syncs with Neptune through Pisces)
- c. November 4th 2011, The Rum Diary press tour – Depp reported falling for Heard (though they had chemistry on set)
- June 26, 2012, Johnny confirms split from Vanessa Paradis
- c. Jan 17th 2014 announced they’re engaged (Sun, Pluto & Venus Retrograde in Capricorn)
- March 2014, engagement celebration (Pluto approaching his Moon)
- December 2014, report of ‘turmoil’ slows the wedding plans
- January 10th 2015, back on with their romance
- Feb 3rd 2015, married in Los Angeles (Full Moon in Leo cj his ascendant, Aquarius Season, Neptune, Venus, Mars and Chiron in Pisces, in Johnny’s 8th house, Mercury Retrograde in Aquarius)
- March 2015 – alleged attack in Australia
- July 2015, Amber charged with illegally importing her dogs to Australia
- April 22nd 2016, Coachella and feaces found that morning (Full Moon in Scorpio, Sun cj Johnny’s Midheaven, Moon conjunct the IC…
- May 20, 2016, Betty Sue Palmer (Depp’s mother) dies (Moon in Scorpio, Pluto in Capricorn (17º14′)at the midpoint of Depp’s Moon-South Node
- May 21, 2016, officers responded to an altercation at the couples L.A. penthouse
- May 23, 2016 (post Sagittarius Full Moon), Heard filed for divorce from Depp and, four days later, obtained a temporary restraining order
- August 2016, Depp and Heard settle out of court
- April 27th, 2018, The Sun publishes article by Dan Wootton, calling Johnny a wife beater (North Node on Depp’s Leo Ascendant, Sun on Mc, Mars-Pluto conjunction on his South Node)
- December 18, 2018 at 5:58 p.m. EST article published in The Washington Post (Saturn in Capricorn 9º51′, Pluto 20º10′, T. South Node at 27º07′, plus Neptune, Mars, Chiron in Pisces)
- March 2019, Depp sues Amber for defamation
- October 2, 2018 – lengthy GQ article ‘Johnny Depp will not be buried’…
- April 2019, Amber motions to dismiss Depp’s $50 million defamation lawsuit against her over the Washington Post op-ed (Saturn conjunct South Node + his Nodal Return)
- December 20th 2019, spends Christmas in Paris with Vanessa Paradis and their children (Saturn on his South Node, Jupiter now in Capricorn)
- January 31st, 2020, Jupiter on his Capricorn Moon, and audio confessions from Amber (speaking in 2015) come out, her admitting to hitting Depp…
- 2020, Depp bought The Sun to court for libel in the UK
- August 10, 2020, Amber Heard countersues Johnny Depp for $100 million
- Nov 2nd 2020, Depp reported to have lost his libel case (Saturn, Pluto, Jupiter in Capricorn, conjunct his South Node, North Node on his Gemini Sun).
- April 11th, 2022 court proceedings kick off for Depp vs. Heard in Fairfax, Virginia…
Saturn in the seventh house (in Aquarius) means Depp is going through his second Saturn Return – and also soon his Jupiter Return (in Aries).
Saturn is the ruler of his sixth house (of health, wellbeing and work) and the seventh house of intimate relationships.
It’s so on point that the situation now unfolding is about his relationship, and the negative impact on his work and wellbeing…
During the trial there has also been an Eclipse in Scorpio, and I really think one of the most poignant stories to come out of the trial has been around the Coachella fight and defecation (again, this was a Full Moon in Scorpio moment back in 2016, on Depp’s Mc / Ic axis…) Amber’s Taurus Sun at 2º16′ is conjunct his Midheaven too, as this was her birthday.
Let’s wait a little longer to see how this plays out!
Johnny Depp Birth Chart…
Born Sunday June 9, 1963 At 8.44 am In Owensboro, Kentucky…
NB. Dan Wootton was born March 2, 1983 in Lower Hutt, New Zealand. He is a Pisces with Mercury in Aquarius, at 21º40′ – conjunct Depp’s Saturn. Sun at 10º47′ conjunct his Chiron.